Whether you know you're looking for a simple line edit or want to tear the floors out of your draft, I have experience working with authors at all stages of the game. I've worked on for-print productions and ebooks as a production manager, checked final drafts as a proofreader and combed through manuscripts on a line-by-line basis working as a copy editor.
Maybe you know what you want to say, but you'd like help figuring out where to start. Or you have the inclination and even the words, just no time to put pen to paper. As a professional copywriter, I can help you with that, too. Drop me a line and let me know what you're looking for. If I can't help you, I'd be happy to direct you to one of my contemporaries who can.
And if you'd just like to ask a question about your project and aren't sure where to turn, I'd be happy to help in that instance, too. I don't charge for this service or consultation. It's actually a part of the job I enjoy!
May 2015– present
Oct 2013 – Present
• Select and revise submissions for publication in a monthly online fiction magazine
• Collaborate with editing staff to publish high-quality fiction, poetry and editorial pieces
• Proofread fiction submissions for sentence-level and organizational issues
Freelance copywriter & editor
2011 – Present
Aug 2010 – Mar 2014
• Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
• Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing.
• Ensure adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
Please note: Former clients are welcome to message me directly for continued consultations, updates, etc.
May 2010 – May 2011
Duties with this publisher include:
• recruiting new interns
• editing manuscript copy
Acacia Publishing (The Hired Pen)
May 2010 – Dec 2010
Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
GirlfriendIt (Social Media)
Jan 2010 – Dec 2010
• light page modification (HTML)
• layout, and proofing
• soliciting creative material and contributors
• writing teasers and companion articles for weekly radio show
• designating stories to interns
• updating/maintaining GirlfriendIt's radio show's news and podcast feeds for social networking sites
Jan 2010 – May 2010
• Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
• Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
• Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
• Wrote for print and Web mediums while working closely with DRAFT editors.
• Learned the general editorial process of a national consumer magazine.
Apr 2009 – Dec 2009
• Observed certain administrative and clerical procedures.
• Familiarity with systems such as word processing, managing files and records, etc.
• Microsoft Office Suite 2007
• Learned how to communicate professionally on behalf of a publication.
using tools such as Indesign, Quark, InCopy, DreamWeaver, Photoshop and Photoshop Elements
for print and online content
administrative and customer service roles as well as connecting with professionals in on and off-line mediums
Publishing (page layout and production)
for print and ebook
Chicago Manual of Style; Copyeditor's Handbook; AP Style Book
Content management systems (Wordpress, etc.)
blogs, posting content to web and mobile platforms, etc.
for print and online journalism
Microsoft Office 2013
Word, Publishing, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, etc.
University of Washington
Editing Certificate 2015 - 2015
Arizona State University
B.A. - English 2008 - 2010
Arizona State University
B.A - English: Technical Writing 2008 - 2010
Mesa Community College
A.A English 2006 - 2008
Here's what a few folks have to say about working with me...
Interior Designer, Author, Speaker, Rebecca West Interiors
I can't begin to say how delighted I am with Mariah's edits to my book. When I read through them it feels like my very own writing, but better! She stays true to my voice and my intent, but manages to clarify what I want to say with every wonderful suggestion. Not only that, she goes above and beyond, offering far more than your standard editor. It's like having your very own cheerleading squad - so important on this So Long and So Hard journey of writing and publishing a book! She is generous with her smiles, her knowledge, and her resources. Mariah is a like a sparkly treasure in your writing toolbox. Rebecca West
Writer, The Eden Chronicles
Working with Mariah has been a wonderful experience, her services are exceptional and very reasonably priced, and I can’t wait to work with her again in the future. She was always very positive and her edits made my book a hundred times better. She has an infectiously positive attitude that made me excited to revise my novel, and the ability to check on the edits she was making in real time was a wonderful feature. Her humor and knowledge of pop culture made her edits as entertaining to read as they were informative, and I can’t imagine having anyone else edit my work.